Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First Time Blogger


My favorite genre of photography is black and white architectural shots with lots of contrast. I have a whole wall of black and white photography in my room that I took while in Europe. On the other hand I prefer to photographic children. I love to see their facial expressions and movements that to me are so innocent and soft.
I hope to learn a lot this year, but my primary focus is to build on my existing knowledge of photography and develop new skills that I have yet to explore. I've been using Lightroom for quite a few months now and I've become fairly proficient in the program but I'm sure there's lots more for me to learn. Some new skills I'm hoping to gain this year is to learn new photographic techniques such as panning and motion blur like we'll be practicing tomorrow on our mysterious field trip.
One of my best memories of taking pictures is when my nephew Emmett was born. He was six weeks early so he was in the NICU, when I saw him for the first time it was amazing he was so small but still so beautiful. I got to take a few pictures of him but I couldn't use a flash and I was shooting through the plastic of the incubator, so the conditions were less then optimal. Even though the pictures turned out to be awful with the wrong exposure, lots of reflections and blur they are still some of my most precious pictures that I have ever taken. So it just proves that even if you have all the proper photographic technique it doesn't mean you'll end up with a picture you'll cherish, it's the story within the image that makes a great photo.

2 comments:

  1. DITTO.
    The expressions of kids faces rule.
    I learned that a lot in the past year and a half with my neice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stupid computer. ok, so i totally agree that the best pictures aren't necessarily the best quality. :) I to am excited to learn more about panning! and that mysterious filed trip tomorrow, haha pretty excited! this will be a good year :)

    ReplyDelete